We offer an active, growing children’s ministry that welcomes children of all ages. From Sunday School to youth group to children’s vocal and handbell choirs to fellowship opportunities, there is something for every family at First Presbyterian Church. All are welcome!
For devotional readings and activities you can do at home with your kids and teens, please see our Devotionals Page.
A key element in our ministry of nurture is the Sunday morning Church School with classes for children 2 years old through adults. From September through June:
- 2 years through 4th grade meet during worship, 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM
- 5th through High School, as well as an adult study, meet before worship, 8:30 AM to 9:15 AM
Class Schedule and Location
Class Times 8:30-9:15 AM
- 5th, 6th & 7th Grades – Room 210
- Confirmation – Library
- Senior High 9th-12th – Room 201
- Adult Bible Study – Room 106
Worship Hour 9:45-10:30 AM
- 2 year olds – CNS Young Learner Room
- 3 & 4 year olds – CNS Room 004
- K through 1st Grade – Room 108
- 2nd Grade – Room 203
- 3rd and 4th Grade – Room 204
Christian Education 10:45 AM
- Confirmation Class (grades 9 and older)
Supervised child care is offered Sunday mornings from 9 AM to noon for babies and toddlers.
Children’s Fellowship Groups
- First Friday Club (Grades K-2) – Enjoy pizza, drinks, games and crafts. Meets the first Friday of each month, October – May 6-7:15 PM
- Junior Club (Grades 3-6) – Pizza, games and fun for all. Meets 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month, October – May, 5:30 – 6:45 PM.
Community Nursery School
Church sponsored nursery school provides quality education for children 2 1/2 to 5 years old. Half day programs: 2, 3, and 5 days a week. Click here for more information about Community Nursery School.
Christmas Play 2017
Every year over 100 children and adults participate in our Christmas Play. This year the play will be on December 23rd in the Sanctuary. Children and youth from age 4 up to 12th Grade are welcome to be part of this new Christmas Pageant. We also will need volunteers to make this happen. See flyer below.
Vacation Bible School
Our annual Vacation Bible School welcomes children from our congregation and throughout the community for a week of fun, fellowship, and valuable lessons from the Bible that can last a lifetime.
For 2018 the Vacation Bible School at First Presbyterian Church Metuchen will be from June 25 – 29. Save the date!!
We invite children entering kindergarten through 6th grade to participate in VBS programming. Those in 7th and 8th graders who are children of church-member families may register for our youth leader training class, with members of our youth group serving as youth leaders. There are plenty of opportunities for adult volunteers as well, many choosing to help with VBS planning and preparation, and many choosing to help during the week. Registration will begin on Sunday, May 6th.
Camp Johnsonburg is a Presbyterian Camp located in Northern New Jersey. Presbyterian Women and our Deacons offer a Scholarship to Children and Youth of the First Presbyterian Church each summer.
Children’s Vocal and Handbell Choirs
Please click here to learn more about our Children’s Vocal and Handbell Choirs.